[vbox-users] After kernel upgrade vbox fails to start

Steven Davies-Morris sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Wed May 28 16:15:53 UTC 2008

Frank Mehnert wrote:
> Steven,
>
> On Wednesday 28 May 2008, Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 (my host o/s).  Vbox 1.6 has been running fine with
>> WinXp as a guest o/s.  I upgraded my kernel with the updates that came
>> over the holiday weekend and wham...something is broken.
>>
>> Here's what I get when I try to start my virtual:
>>
>> Failed to start the virtual machine Win2KOEM.
>>
>> VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was
>> either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason.
>> Re-setup the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as
>> root.
>>
>> VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).
>
> Please install the packages
>
>   linux-headers-generic
>
> and
>
>   linux-headers-`uname -r`
>
> The linux-headers-generic package does most likely depend on the latter.
> Then run this command again.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Frank

I reinstalled linux-headers-gneric and linux-headers-`uname -r`

Then I launched /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as su.  Still had the same
problem with it failing the compile step.

So I reinstalled vBox from the latest.deb and this time it corrected
itself, passing the compile step..

My virtual WinXP is running again.

Thanks very much for the help.
NP: nothing