Web GUI for server administration

Mike lake.wind77 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 02:49:16 UTC 2008

Onno Benschop wrote:
> On 28/05/08 01:19, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Avi Greenbury
>> <avismailinglistaccount at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> I've been using webmin for years - I had no trouble installing on
>> Hardy Server...
>>
>> Chris
>>

> webmin is evil and has been removed from both Debian and Ubuntu because
> it does not handle configuration files in the same way that we do.
>
> ebox is at this time the ubuntu-sever preferred gui.

You might want to check out this post from 2 weeks ago at the
Ubuntu forum concerning webmin vs ebox:

According to the Ubuntu forum discussion from only a few weeks
ago, most posters were leaning toward webmin. There's some
concern that ebox doesn't save your config files in
traditional places. Apparently ebox saves config files only in
the ebox directory. At least that's what was reported in the
Ubuntu forum.

A new version of Webmin has been recently released (1.420)
Their website states: "The new version of Webmin includes
Ubuntu 8.04 fixes..."

It might be worth checking out.