Compiz issues, possibly bad video driver?

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 02:48:50 UTC 2008

I've been running Ubuntu hardy for a couple of days now on a brand new
motherboard (Geforce 6100 pn-m), with an amd 64 dual core cpu.

I've noticed a few irregularities when running compiz and some other
3d applications, in that part of the screen disappears - mostly the
kde icons on the bottom of the screen. mplayer will play a green
screen under compiz, but work fine when compiz is not running.

My video "card" is part of the motherboard, it's an Nvidia Geforce
6100. Prior, I had an Nvidia FX 5200 AGP which I used on an athlon
Thunderbird system. Obviously, compiz crawled on that box, if it ran
at all.

What I have installed seems to me to be an older driver that's in the
ubuntu repositories, compared to debian (169.12) if I understand the
versioning correctly. Actually, I ran the prior nvidia driver
(nvidia-kernel-source 1.04 something) on debian lenny for a long time.
I never experienced these artifacts before.

dfox at newbox:/storage$ apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx:
  Installed: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
  Candidate: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
  Version table:
 *** 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Packages

dfox at newbox:/storage$ apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-source:
  Installed: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
  Candidate: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
  Version table:
 *** 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages

I copied my old xorg.conf from debian, which got fine-tuned so I can
at least attempt compiz. I have attached it.

I see there is a "new" nvidia driver in the repositories, but prior to
installing I'd like some feedback on its use - have any of you with
similar if not exact hardware out there run across this and found an
easy fix? I like the compiz stuff generally, but it's not too
necessary to run, and not seeing mplayer video is kind of not a nice
things.

Oh, and playing avis/mpegs exhibit green screens in vlc & gxine as well.