Xorg problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 28 01:09:21 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>     I have no idea how I did this, but here is what I did. I used rsync
>> to put a copy of this Ubuntu 7.10 on the second hard drive mounted at
>> /mnt. This seemed to go well. I tried the new copy and it would not
>> boot. So I came back to the original and now it has a huge problem.
>> Booting up it goes fine but then has a problem loading Apache 2 and then
>> it fails to load right. It will only come up in 680x480 or like that.
>>
>> I have no idea why this problem occurred. It is a pain. Does anyone have
>> an idea what is wrong?
>>
>> Karl
>>
>> Well since no-one has even a guess what is wrong I will do what I must.
>> Either go back to Fedora or reload Ubuntu 7.10. This all is just a huge
>> thing wrong with Ubuntu and never did I have this big problem with
>> Fedora.

How can anybody have a guess?  You haven't provided a single error message,
or anything close to a problem description.

Simply using rsync to copy files _to_ another system can't damage the
current one, either on fedora or ubuntu, so either you rsynced the wrong
directin or, probably more likely, you'd already broken something but it
didn't show up until reboot.

In any case, it isn't a "huge thing wrong with ubuntu"
--
derek