Ubuntu Evangelism

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:11:05 UTC 2008

2008/5/27 Andy <stude.list at googlemail.com>:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> In order to crack down on the
>> rampant software pirating at my university, the university simply
>> bought MS Windows and MS Office for everybody.
>
> What about all the people who had already paid for MS Windows and MS
> Office? How come MS get paid twice for the same thing?

Better that MS get paid twice for 10% of their software than have 90%
piracy at the university. (not my thinking, but the university's
thinking).

> And what about
> those people who don't want to use that software?

Well, now when I complain that they send files in word format, that
OOo cannot read because they use some obscure formatting for no reason
at all, they can tell me that I have no basis to complain. All the
software that I need to read those files is right there waiting for me
to install it.

>> This, while we have had
>> three semesters in a row of strikes because the staff wants higher pay
>> and the students want to pay less.
>
> Well if they will spend all their money on buying unneeded software!
> Why did they not just order some CDs of Ubuntu of ShipIt?

Because that cannot open the silly formating of the faculty's word files.

> Which Uni is this anyway?

http://www.technion.ac.il
This is Israel's leading technology university. It is often referred
to as the MIT of the Middle East. Just make sure that you include the
www in the URL!

>> They also bough Norton Antivirus
>> for the whole university last semester after a virus outbreak.
>
> Ah every one using the same AV. So if Symantec are slow to update for a
> particular virus/variant the *entire* university is up a creek.

Yes.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il