'doh I shut off my laptop display

Tue May 27 01:51:54 UTC 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 5:26 PM, Brian Tillman
> <mailinglists at briantillman.com> wrote:
>
> On May 26, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Bob Cortez wrote:
> believed to be clean.
>> I've really buggered it up this time, and I have no clue how to
>> turn my display back on.  I've tried booting into the recovery
>> mode and using the command sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg but
>> that didn't work.  Anyone have an answer that doesn't involve
>> reinstalling 8.04?
>
> Hey Bob,
> Do you get any output on your screen during boot up? If not,
> sometimes there is a button on the laptop (usually accessed with a
> function key) for turning off the LCD in lieu of an external display.
>
> Can you see your system boot; and then goes blank when X starts?
>
> Display works fine up until I complete log in, then it goes black.
> I was messing around with Graphics/Screen GUI and turned off the
> display.
>
> Bob

Boot into rescue mode (or a lower run level, looking to someone with
more debian / ubuntu specific to chime in with the proper run level /
grub flags; other distro's its 3) Validate that you do not have
anything strange in your ~/.xinit.rc; also validate your /etc/X11/
xorg.conf. I'm not a ubuntu user myself (eeek!) but this should be no
different than any other distros.

Brian
believed to be clean.