wrong sreen resolution

Jeffrey Tooker Jeffreytooker at frontiernet.net
Mon May 26 21:09:08 UTC 2008

Doug Stewart wrote:

>> I have a system that has  Windows  on 1 partition and Ubuntu-64 on a
>> second partition and now Ubuntu-32 on the third partition.
>>
>> I am using the  64 bit hardy but my 32 bit hardy  I have set the screen
>> resolution to be too big and all the left side of the desktop  is not
>> visible.
>>
>> Can I fix this from the 64bit  system by editing a file on the 32bit system
>> if so  how?
>>
>> If I boot in safe screen mode on the 32bit system, what file should I edit?
>>
>> Thank for being there to help us beginners.
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Since I got on answer let me ask a simpler question.
>
> what file should I edit to change the screen resolution?

Doug:

Like you I am just starting out. On the advice of those much more
learned than I, I have stayed with Gutsy. The rational is that it is
less prone to problems. By your email the 32 bit Hardy is the the system
that is not working. When I asked for help on resolution I was given
this CLI entry:

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

This gets one into the editing of graphics for the system.  There is also Xserver Xorg at System>Administration>Xserver Xorg.  This is a GUI.  It has cautions about its use.  I feel that the CLI is much safer as it has good explanations for answering the edit questions.  Also go online and check for problems with your specific graphics card and whatever drivers it might use.  I have found Ubuntu to have a lot of hardware specific information.  If this does not get your problem fixed it will at least run you around your system graphics, and get you a bit familiar with it.  I find problems a learning experience, which helps me better understand the system.

Jeffrey Tooker