Ubuntu freezes randomly

Carl Friis-Hansen ubuntuuser at carl-fh.com
Mon May 26 16:07:08 UTC 2008

Chris Rees wrote:
> Pat Brown wrote:
>> I have a problem with Ubuntu freezing for no apparent reason. It's not
>> like I'm running any RAM intensive programs - this morning I had
>> Konquerer open, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.
I have upgraded seven computers from 7.10 to 8.04 by reinstalling from
scratch. Two of these computer froze as described in this post. In both
cases it was related to the use of natively supported wireless cards.
In my case it looks like it is related to bug #200142. I found that the
following work-around resolved the problem:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-16-generic

Hope this helps and I will make a statement on the bug site ASAP.
--
| Carl Friis-Hansen             | Fiskeryd Nybygget |  \  /  |