Mount USB HDD to a certain /media/folder after boot

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 26 13:09:02 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> One more things gets into my eyes:
> I am always getting displayed /dev/sdb5 and/or /dev/sdb6
> You wrote /media/LD142ext3 !?
>
> Does this mean that, like floppies and USB sticks,
> my / the external USB HDD is "MEDIA" and not "DEV" ???

There will always be a /dev device name for every hard drive, whether
external or internal, but when automounting is working as it should, USB
sticks and drives should appear as /media/xxxx.  If the device has a Label,
it should be /dev/LABEL (unless you have overridden it - I'm not sure if
that's possible in Gnome, but once I have it mounted in KDE, I can give it
a different name and that gets remembered next time it's mounted)
--
derek