Mount USB HDD to a certain /media/folder after boot

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Mon May 26 12:42:15 UTC 2008

Hi Nils
Thanks for your pointing / teasings ! ;-)

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 09:28 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 20:50 -0700, David Vincent wrote:
> > > i'd reformat everything in ext3 or fat32 (i don't enjoy linux's
> > > support for ntfs) then examine the sharing permissions (samba?  nfs?)
> >
> > Reformat again ???
>
> Well, he said he would do it :)

Well, I would not do ! ;-D

> > There is a problem with another reformatting again:
> > My Ubuntu 7.10 DT has GParted 0.3.? which doesn't support disk
> > labels ! ;-(
>
> There are other tools to give filesystems a label. See here:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive>

OOPpss ...
... to late I see, I forgot to set the old version of GParted under
Ubuntu 7.10,
Sorry: It is 0.3.3-2 !

The latest indeed is 0.3.3-6 ...
... it not only allows Disk Labels ...
... it also runs better and faster too !!

> And about the error message you mentioned in the other mail: I gave my USB
> stick the same label you had, but it was mounted without error (using
> Kubuntu 8.04). Maybe it is a problem with 7.10. I suppose that would be
> the lower case letters then. If I give my USB stick a label using
> Windows, it is all upper case although it is displayed as mixed
> upper/lower case. Try to rename the partition to LD142EXT3 instead of
> LD142ext3 and check if the error message persists.

I do not think it's this mixed upper/lower letter case,
since I am able to rsync my data to the respective partitions finally
again !

rsync copied 4052 out of 4053 files of 5.7GB from /home to /mnt/WS222 !!
The control check indeed gave an impossible result displaying in
somewhat
five digits file amount !? ;-O

Now I am copying WinXPP's Document and Settings to LD142ntfs/WS222 !!!

Like this it seems I have gotta something running without being
confident and
experienced knowing how and what is being going !? ;-((

It seems that I do something wrong quite basically and haven't gotta to
know how and what !!!

I would like to find out how to check it well to make sure that after
backup ...
... the restore works 100% too ! ;-)

Any hints and suggestions are still hot awaited and appreciated
welcome,
cheers, svobi

PS: Just catched a "copy i/o error" with the USB HDD unit !
Seems it got stressed too much today and became too hot ??
Need to check and restart tomorrow again. ;-(