New box, Hardy AMD64 install

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 05:00:06 UTC 2008

This is my first post to the list, so welcome to all.

I've recently put together an AMD 64 based system, based on a ECS
Geforce 6100PM-M2 and an Athlon 64 dual core CPU. I switched because
my existing box that had been running for the last seven years just
got too slow for me to really use. I've been running Debian through
Etch and lenny testing cycles, but I wanted to check out Ubuntu, so I
did an install of 64-bit Hardy.

I've been having an issue with odd video artifacts in the latest (I
think) nvidia video driver. I've previously used an earlier version of
the driver on a Debian Lenny installation (32 bit of course) and
couldn't run the 169.12 driver (previous version was something like
100.49 or whatever).

nvidia-glx:
  Installed: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34
  Candidate: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34
  Version table:
 *** 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Isn't this version old? The artifacts I've observed (and it's not just
Hardy; it is much more pronounced in Sabayon 3.5, the most recent
release candidate, in fact). What I see are parts of icons disapparing
on the screen, and since I use KDE, the bottom tray icons are
sometimes replaced with solid or stipple-colored rectangles. In
Sabayon, whole parts of applets are missing, which makes them
unusable.

This is my first machine with onboard video (shared RAM) rather than a
dedicated video card. I used to use a FX 5200 nvidia AGP card.

I also get bad flashing when I run a gl based app such as stellarium.
I'll probably note that experience on their mailing list, as I'm
following the development cycle.