help with loading ubuntu

Steve Vesper evetsrepsev at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 02:37:27 UTC 2008

Thanks for the info. What if Vista is not workable? ie My computer will start up but I cannot get past the password.

Can I just load Ubuntu over it and therefore get rid of it.

I really dont like it and would prefer a more stable operating system?

Any help is appreciated.

Steve> Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 19:04:41 -0400> From: elmo at ne.rr.com> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Subject: Re: help with loading ubuntu> > Steve Vesper wrote:> > Hello,> > > > I have a computer running vista that I cannot get to the desk top. > > This computer kept blue screening and I seem to be past that but now I > > cannot get past the pass word to get to the desk top.> > > > I would like to load ubunta over Vista but I am not sure if I can. I > > am downloading it on another computer now and will burn a CD.> > > > Can any one help me with what I should do next to get past the pass > > word to load Ubuntu?> > > > Can I load ubuntu if I boot direct to the CD copy of ubuntu?> > > > Will it overwrite Vista?> > > > Any help will be greatly appreciated,> > > > Steve> >> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> > Change the world with e-mail. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft. > > <http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_ChangeWorld>> Assuming you mean installing, not loading.> > Normally, any MS Windows MUST be already installed and workable BEFORE > you install> any Linux system, including UBUNTU. It doesn't work the other way.> > While UBUNTU is being installed it detects the presence of a Windows > system and will> include it (VISTA) in the bootup menu that UBUNTU will create.> > So, if you already have Vista workable on your computer, just go ahead > and install> UBUNTU.> > A word of caution----if you downloaded UBUNTU yourself, the download > itself is not usable in its ISO form. You have to use a CD burner to > create an IMAGE CD from the ISO that you downloaded. Just about any > burner includes this process. You can use the one in your Vista. The > IMAGE CD will be your installation disc. You can even use it to test > your UBUNTU without actually installing it.> > Good luck, elmo> > > > -- > ubuntu-users mailing list> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users