Ubuntu Truncating Disk Partitions

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun May 25 11:53:27 UTC 2008

Ben2K wrote:
> I recently swapped out my laptop harddrive for a larger 160GB model. I first
> created the partitions I wanted, significantly expanding /home and
> /usr/local. Then I copied everything with Clonezilla. After some boot
> difficulties, I got everything running.
>
> The problem is that the /home and /usr/local partitions (/dev/sda8 and
> /dev/sda9) are sized at 40GB and 45GB. respectively. Both are ext3. This
> info is correctly reported by fdisk, gparted, and even Nautilus. But when I
> do a df, or try to use the space, df reports that both partitions have been
> truncated to 9.9GB!
>
>          /dev/sda8             10365264   8994932    843804  92% /home
>          /dev/sda9             10365264   9082556    756180  93% /usr/local
>

> BTW, I'm running kernel 2.6.24-16-generic and Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy.
>
> How do I fix this, and get access to the missing space?

WOW! That is a problem. I do not understand how fdisk can tell you one
thing and df tell you another. I have never used Clonezilla  but doubt
it could have changed partition size :-)

    Please do this. In a terminal run fdisk like $sudo fdisk /dev/sda
and then using the information on cylinder size calculate the exact size
of /dev/sda8. Then see how close it is to what df reads.

    Also df is not working right. If you look at the size left the the
90% is not correct. It needs to be done with care and I think df may be
the problem.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI