Free Book for learning Ubuntu /Linux

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sat May 24 07:04:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 02:39 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:

> >> Install "rutebook" and have a look at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/
> >
> >>    Florian
> >
> > Hi Florian,
> > Your rutebook hint is interesting ! ;-)
> > It installs and there is a rutebook.pdf.gz with abolutely not entries or
> > icons on the desktop !!
> > How can a new bee get these things readable then ? ;-(
>
> For me it just works in nautilus. If it doesn't for you open a terminal
> window and type
>   gzip -c  /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz > ~/Desktop/rutebook.pdf
> (that's one line).  This copies a decompressed version of
> /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz named rutebook.pdf to your
> desktop.
>
> Maybe typing
>   see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz
> in a terminal window works, too.
>    Florian

Hi Florian
Thanks for your feedback and hints:
1) it works with:  see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz

2) With the given gzip it fails:
unable to open document, failedto laod document from data (error3)

I cannot say anything about its quality but
with its 660 pages it is really a very very heavy portion for a new
bee !!!

Cheers, svobi