ram music files

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Fri May 23 21:38:44 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 15:06 -0500, Joseph wrote:
>> I tried getting yours, but it said there was programs which interfered with and would have to be removed.  It instructed me
>> to go to the Synaptic Package Manager and remove them from there.
>
> I am afraid you have to be more specific. What did you try, with that
> programs, and what exactly were the errors?
>
> I have Helix installed (on Ubuntu 8.04) by simply installing the package
> helix-player, as instructed, and I have no such errors.
>
> However, I doubt, anyway, that Helix will play your ram files, those
> probably use a proprietary codec by Realnetworks. Helix it "just" the
> open source base on with Realplayer 10 is based. I think that you will
> need the realplayer package, instructions for which are here (linked
> from the link I gave):
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RealPlayerInstallationMethods
> It seems that there is no Ubuntu package for it anymore, but the link
> will tell you how to download and install from the real.com website.

The reason I wasn't so precise was because that method was secondary right now because I'd found what I think will solve this
whole issue.

I found a RealPlayer for Linux at https://player.helixcommunity.org/ and it gave me a tarball that I'm not positive how to
install.  I gave the things I'd tried to install the tar file.  It was as follows:

ragweed at ragweed-den:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/ragweed/Desktop/RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz
[sudo] password for ragweed:
dpkg-deb: `/home/ragweed/Desktop/RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz' is not a debian format archive
dpkg: error processing /home/ragweed/Desktop/RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz (--install):
   subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
   /home/ragweed/Desktop/RealPlayer11GOLD.bin.tar.gz
ragweed at ragweed-den:~$

If I could just get the commands right, I think I'll have the Real media issue solved.

Please forgive my ignorance with Linux/Ubuntu commands.  I'm new at all this and while I've learned some things, I still have
a long way to go.

Joseph