ram music files

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Fri May 23 20:06:09 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 14:05 -0500, Joseph wrote:
>> Well, I have the tarball on my desk.  Now, I have to figure out how to
>> get it installed.  I can't seem to get bin files to
>> work.  I opened it into a "bin.tar.gz" file.
>
> No, no, no, there is no need to compile anything. Read the link I
> provided, specifically
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats#head-79bfba9a0e96d62a622a47430239a1d49454c953

There were two of you who'd written.  One about Helix, and yours.

I tried getting yours, but it said there was programs which interfered with and would have to be removed.  It instructed me
to go to the Synaptic Package Manager and remove them from there.  I found the install for Ubuntu for the restricted
programs.  When I clicked to install them, it said that there were certain things that must be removed.  I tried to do that.
  Then as it was installing, it stopped and gave a thing that it couldn't remove the 'unacceptable' things.  I clicked ok and
it continued.

However, I just looked in my Synaptic Package Manager and it's supposed to be installed....   but I can't find anything that
looks like it might be it.  Or does it work through another program?   ...maybe to add more capabilities?

Helix seemed like a single program (Real Player generic for Unix), so after having what appeared an unsuccessful time with
the restricted packages, I gave it a try and ran into the tarball problem.

I now have two tarballs on my desktop and can't get them installed.

However, I finally got my "Ubuntu Linux for Dummie's" book, so hopefully I'll get through things like this easier in the future.

Joseph