OpenOffice : why spellcheck doesn't work ?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri May 23 19:13:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:56 -0400, komputes wrote:
> OOo is tricky, buggy and requires getting used to in my opinion. I have
> had the biggest headache with spellcheck and I really don't understand
> why it's this anti-intuitive, but I guess that's Sun for you. Open your
> document and try the following:
>
> -File > Wizard > Dictionaries
> -Retrieve lists and select the dictionaries you need
> -Tools > Language > For all Text > (your language here)
>
> This will make sure you have the dictionary and change all text to your
> language. At that point it should work (operative work being "should").

I don't know. I never used OO Writer spellcheck in my life before, but
you post made me interested. I opened a document in OO.org 2.4, looked
around for 10 seconds, then I opened Tools > Languages > All Text, and
changed it to  my native language. When I started typing, it worked.

The only thing I can think of that I might have done different from some
other people is that I set up language support in the Ubuntu way: Top
Panel > System > Administration > Language Support. I have set English
as my system language, this might be a reason for why I had to set
OO.org to my native language first.