Ubuntu won't recognise usb drive when running KDE. (works under gnome)

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri May 23 16:15:42 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> While I'm not familiar with the reason why it is designed this way, it
> could be related to the permissions for the drive. If you check the mount
> options for a FAT32 USB stick you can see that it is owned by the user
> who mounted the drive. That would not be possible if it was mounted
> without user action because the system wouldn't know which user should be
> the owner.

I don't see the point of having the permissions set this way. If there
is a device plugged in and somebody has physical access to the machine
under a different login to the person who plugged it in, they could
still remove the device and reinsert it, so why bother making it
readable only by the person who inserted it?

I would have thought it should be set so that it's mounted as root or
under a dummy user, with the group id for the drive set to be something
like 'media'. If someone was a member of media, then they would be able
to read the drive.

andy.