Hardy Heron causes HP-9000 series laptop LCD Display to "Burn" during Shutdown or Reboot

Harry Wert harry.wert at gmail.com
Fri May 23 14:45:53 UTC 2008

David Vincent wrote:

> Harry Wert wrote:
>>> I think I failed to correctly state the problem. Allow me to try again:
>>>
>>> Until I exercise any of the options such as Shutdown or Reboot, the
>>> Display is perfect; ie, correct Brightness and Contrast with excellent
>>> resolution.
>>>
>>> The Display only exhibits the Burning/CRT Blooming affect when the
>>> Shutdown or Restart option is selected and the selected process is
>>> initiated.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the confusion.
>>>

> Sounds like the problem I had with my LCD.  It was the refresh rate the
> hibernation made my LCD attempt to display.  I used to get the "bloom"
> effect way back when I started using Ubuntu and installed Dapper/Edgy on
> this laptop.  I finally figured out X was not initializing the display
> properly, once I set proper refresh rates in my xorg.conf the problem
> went away.
>
> It recently resurfaced with Gutsy when I used uswsusp's s2disk utility
> to hibernate the machine.  Now with Hardy this laptop no longer
> hibernates at all so my problem has been (*ahem*) fixed.
>
> So is it during the usplash display of the Ubuntu logo and the progress
> bar? Or is it during a text-mode display?  I don't know of any way you
> could fix this problem however.  When I asked here about my (possibly)
> similar problem the list had no advice - uswsusp does not allow me to
> customize those refresh rates so I was SOL.  I doubt pm-utils will let
> you set the rate too.
>
> - -d

Excellent and well thought-out response. Thank You
Much food for thought which I will now ponder. Will report back to this
list when I figure out a "fix"

The "blooming" occurs immediately after either the Shutdown or Restart
command is selected from the menu. It does NOT occur when the log out
choice is selected.  It DOES "balloon" briefly during selection of
either the Suspend or Hibernate option. It is mercifully short when
doing a Suspend or Hibernate so I can live with that!

Harry Wert
Physicist