Ubuntu won't recognise usb drive when running KDE. (works under gnome)

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Fri May 23 04:48:43 UTC 2008

Nils Kassube wrote:
> andy baxter wrote:
>
>> I've just found out that my ubuntu (hardy) system won't recognise my
>> usb hard drive when I plug it in since I switched from Gnome to KDE. It
>> used to work fine, and now it works only intermittently (I think it
>> works when I have had a gnome session running since I last booted, but
>> not when I boot straight into KDE). Is this a known bug, and what can I
>> do about it, other than manually mounting the drives every time they
>> are plugged in?
>>

> With my KDE (updated from Dapper to Hardy) external disks are mounted
> automatically. Therefore I'm not sure if this will help: In "System
> Settings" select "Notifications" -> "Storage Media Notifications".
> For "Medium types" select "Unmounted Removable Medium". Click on "Open in
> New Window" and "Toggle as Auto Action". Repeat for other unmounted media
> and click "Apply".
>
> If you want consistent filenames for the path (as you wrote in the other
> mail) you should add labels to the filesystems.

OK, thanks. This seems to work (apart from I don't really want to open a
window, just mount the drive).

However I have a question - why is something like this done by the
desktop environment not another part of the system? It seems to me that
this isn't the proper place for things - the way the system behaves when
you plug in a device shouldn't depend on which desktop environment you
are running (which could be none at all in some cases), but on a lower
layer of the system.