Point me at some Ubuntu documentation?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu May 22 17:51:39 UTC 2008

"Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. How to build a deb file?  I'm familiar with building RPMS on
> Redhat/Fedora, but need basic information on how Debian builds are
> configured and managed.

Install maint-guide and see the docs in /usr/share/doc/maint-guide/

> 2. I can't find an option for dpkg to stop post uninstall scripts from
> running.  On one of the systems I'm testing, dpkg --remove got about
> 90% done, before it tried to execute a script that failed.  In RedHat,
> there is a --noscripts option so that one can get the system to remove
> packages like even if their post scripts fail.

AFAIK there isn't such an option. I usually edit the broken script
(they are in /var/lib/dpkg/info/)

> 3. I find it hard to understand the Ubuntu packaging of disks.  I use
> some Gnome programs, some KDE, some XFCE.  My favorite window manager
> is WindowMaker.   Is there one Ubuntu disk that has "Everything"?  all
> the gnome and kde and xfce packages together?

"Everything" is > 20 GByte for 8.04. There is no official disc set,
but some stores sell unofficial ones.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>