[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu May 22 20:32:13 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Avi Greenbury wrote:
>

>>> Do you actually intentionally make "stupid" mistakes that can never
>>> possibly
>>> work? That's what a config tool should prevent.  When a config value
>>> needs to be a domain name, it may be desirable to permit domains that
>>> can't currently be resolved, but it's never going to desirable to allow
>>> you to enter a domain that could never be registered.
>>>
>> It depends on your interpretation of 'stupid' and 'never', I suppose.
>> What kind of domain that could never be registered, and that no-one
>> will ever want in their configuration, do you have in mind?
>>

> Anything that's syntactically incorrect.
>

>> If you have, as you say, an idiot who can not and will not learn, and
>> they should be prevented from screwing up the servers, the easiest way
>> to accomplish that is to not let them anywhere near them, and let
>> someone who has learnt do the configuration.
>>

> And I'm being accused of not living in the real world.  The world is full of
> pointy-haired bosses who couldn't care less that they've put the least
> technically competent person in charge of their web server...

    I WAS the boss, and I was accused many times of putting the wrong
guy in the wrong place. When your the boss, you listen with care, and
then be quiet. Learn from what you were told. If the guy DOES have a
problem with the job, ask him what he would rather be doing. If he likes
his job, explain the problems you see. If he would rather be doing
another job you need then put him there in a two week moving window.
Tell the new Division Chief about his new man and the history.

    I learned that the color of the skin has nothing to do with
performance. I learned a PHd can be lazy and poor at the job he took. I
had people who were way smarter than I am and better workers. I had a
girl who just got out of High School with a C- grade average. Hired her
to shuffle papers and found I liked her. Put her in the Development Lab
and she drove the boss there mad asking questions. As she learned she
smiled more and got to where she was getting assignments that she could
do very well. She was promoted to Senior Tech with a big raise.  I asked
if she would attend Los Angeles City College and I paid the cost. She
got straight A grades for 2 years. On to UCLA and a BSEE and then MSEE
and then Stanford and PHd. She worked for me the entire time I was in
business. Got a huge amount of money back.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User