undo sudo

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Thu May 22 04:02:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 19:00 +0100, Wulfy wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
> > Is there some way to get rid of that useless sudo command and get root back?
> > This is making Ubuntu about as useless for the user as windoze.  Why is there
> > all this fear that a user might actually be able to use his own computer?
> > It  is called a "Personal Computer" and is becoming anything but, complete
> > with noisy bandwasting religious wars over how to better keep the power of
> > the computer away from its owner.  Reminds me of the buggy whip makers
> > arguments against the manufacturing of the automobile.
> >

> Please can you tell me what you can do with root that you can't do with
> sudo?

  I'm not sure about Ubuntu, but in other distros you can totally snarf
your system.
SuSE has limited sudo uses, but then I rarely need to root access in one
form or another, except for administration purposes.  To me this is a
simple, be smarter than Windows, limit the possible damage that can be
done, and just plain good security thinking.