Hardy Heron causes HP-9000 series laptop LCD Display to "Burn" during Shutdown or Reboot

Harry Wert harry.wert at gmail.com
Thu May 22 00:42:17 UTC 2008

Mike Bird wrote:
> On Wed May 21 2008 16:54:15 Harry Wert wrote:
>> Does anyone have the problem of Hardy Heron causing HP-9000 series
>> laptop(s) Display to "Burn" during Shutdown or Reboot?  Or any other
>> Laptop for that matter. Everything works normally otherwise and I am
>> extremely satisfied with Ubuntu's updated distribution.
>>
>> My concern is although the Laptop Suspends, Hibernates,
>> Restarts(reboot), and Shutdown all create the desired operator response
>> , the somewhat "garish" overdriven display may be eventually destroyed.
>>   I have checked Archives and Google'd myself to death, but have found
>> no "hits". For those old enough to remember a CRT Display, the effect is
>> very similar to turning the brightness way too high.
>
> Harry,
>
> Is the flurescent behind the LCD being turned up beyond the normal
> brightness level?  In other words, is the "overdriven display"
> brighter than normal white?
>
> --Mike

I think I failed to correctly state the problem. Allow me to try again:

Until I exercise any of the options such as Shutdown or Reboot, the
Display is perfect; ie, correct Brightness and Contrast with excellent
resolution.

The Display only exhibits the Burning/CRT Blooming affect when the
Shutdown or Restart option is selected and the selected process is
initiated.

Sorry for the confusion.

Harry Wert
Physicist