Detaching X [Was: [OT] Debian mailinglists]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:56:19 UTC 2008

Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 12:07 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Those don't really maintain much state so it shouldn't be a big deal
>> restart them if you get disconnected. Just 'ssh -Y to your server
>> and start them by typing their name with an & to get the prompt back so
>> you can start the next one.
>
>     I am aware of SSHing over.  The issue isn't just disconnects but moving
> the application from one display to another which are on separate
> machines.  And yes, I can just close them down and re-direct them
> manually.  Just as I can, for example, close down an SSH session running
> mutt from one display and restart it all on the new machine.  However,
> having them playing in screen and reattaching screen is much simpler,
> lets me move when I do need to retain state.  Those were just examples.
> I'm sure if I had some method of reattaching to the display from
> different machines I would find more uses.

Give NX a try.  It may be that some other versions work as well as the
mac client in terms of resizing the window and having the enclosed
desktop resize itself to match or you may be able to pick a fixed size
that you can dedicate to it.  You can always minimize it, put other
things in front, or slide it so unused portions fall off the side of
your real monitor.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com