undo sudo

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed May 21 18:25:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 11:00 am, Wulfy wrote:
> Please can you tell me what you can do with root that you can't do with
> sudo?

cd /var/log/exim4
ls

    The elevated privilege is not a state thus any time you need to run a
sequence of commands which require it as a state it fails.  Yes, I
consider having to prefix multiple commands with sudo as a failure, esp
when some of those commands are shorter than sudo, such as the above
case with ls.

    Of course I get around it by simply putting the following alias in my
.zshrc file on Ubuntu systems:

root = "sudo su -s"

    The non-Ubuntu systems have a similar alias:
root = "su -s"

    Hmmm, I think it is -s.  Might me -s -.  Oh well.

--
Steve Lamb