undo sudo

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed May 21 17:51:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 10:39 am, Pastor JW wrote:
> Is there some way to get rid of that useless sudo command and get root back?

    Yes.  Though I am having a quandary on whether to explain how since,
IMHO, someone who can't figure out the simple method of retrieving root
given the tools available is just someone who might really shoot
themselves in the foot with root.  'sides, it's an excellent google
exercise since it is asked at least once a month.

> This is making Ubuntu about as useless for the user as windoze.  Why is
> there all this fear that a user might actually be able to use his own
> computer?

    Hey right there with ya.

> It  is called a "Personal Computer" and is becoming anything but, complete
> with noisy bandwasting religious wars over how to better keep the power of
> the computer away from its owner.  Reminds me of the buggy whip makers
> arguments against the manufacturing of the automobile.

    Weee, a reference to a Danny DeVito movie.  I guess I'll give up the
incantation of "getting root back".

sudo passwd root

    See why I was having a bit of a quandary?  ;)

--
Steve Lamb