Detaching X [Was: [OT] Debian mailinglists]

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Wed May 21 16:50:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 9:17 am, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I usually work
> under the NX client with an X display from a different machine so I can
> suspend it and grab it from another location with all programs still
> running.

    OOooo, new toy.  I wasn't aware of this program.  Is it capable of
single-program moves?  That's the one thing I am looking for in X.  My
laptop's memory is prohibitively thin.  I'd like to be able to offload
some of my long-running, low CPU usage applications to my server while
retaining their display on the laptop.  However, I'd like to do so in a
manner where if my laptop needs a reboot or I boot my game machine into
X I can reattach to those programs.  Basically screen for X.  xmove was
spectacularly unusable.

    Can NX do that or, alternatively, does anyone know of such an
application other than xmove that can?

--
Steve Lamb