Sound and Video and Booting

Roger Benham rogerbenham2000 at yahoo.ca
Wed May 21 14:57:21 UTC 2008

Hello All,
Since upgrading my Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04, I have been having some strange problems:
When I reboot the system will not complete booting on the first two Ubuntu options but gets stuck. I've found by scrolling down to option 3, the system boots normally.

Secondly, when trying to play a movie file, Kaffeine, Movie Player, MPlayer and VLC Media Player all can produce a full-sized picture but no sound, whilst KMPlayer produces full sound but the only way I can see the full picture video is by reducing the frame to a tiny space in the top left corner of the screen. Playing .mp3's work fine.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rogerbenham at yahoo.com