python-libxml2: Segfaults when used with Python 2.5

Dr. ERDI Gergo gergo at erdi.hu
Sun May 18 18:34:30 UTC 2008

Package: python-libxml2
Version: 2.6.31.dfsg-2ubuntu1
Severity: important

Using the XSLT library from Python 2.5 on an amd64 machine, on a fresh
install of Ubuntu 8.04, I get random segfaults ('random' in the sense
that sometimes they contain a glibc warning for freeing up a pointer
pointing to garbage, and sometimes there's just a simple segfault, but
not 'random' in the sense that it ALWAYS crashes).

Using the same python-libxml2 library from Python 2.4 works like a charm.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to create a minimal example yet that
crashes with Python 2.5 but works with 2.4.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
  APT prefers hardy-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'hardy-updates'), (500, 'hardy-security'), (500, 'hardy')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-16-generic (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages python-libxml2 depends on:
ii  libc6               2.7-10ubuntu3        GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libxml2             2.6.31.dfsg-2ubuntu1 GNOME XML library
ii  python              2.5.2-0ubuntu1       An interactive high-level object-o
ii  python-support      0.7.5ubuntu1         automated rebuilding support for p

python-libxml2 recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information