[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue May 20 21:30:44 UTC 2008

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/5/20 Steve Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org>:
>
>>> A web page with a drop down box and a text field would be more _efficient_.
>>>
>>    According to who's measure?
>>
>> vim - 8Mb.
>>
>> Apache - 13-20Mb
>> Firefox - 80Mb
>>
>>    Certainly not space.
>>
>>    Certainly not keystrokes since chances are the URL itself is longer than
>> the entire operation in a text editor.
>>
>>    Certainly not time since I can open a terminal, ssh over, edit the file
>> and save it before I can even load FF.
>>

> It would be efficient because then you wouldn't have to learn all
> those funny CLI commands that you use in SSH, and you wouldn't have to
> use that editor with two modes: one that mungles text and one that
> beeps at you.
>
> For those who already _have_ learned to use the proper tools, the CLI
> and manual edits are much more efficient. For those who want to
> administrate a server without learning, there is Windows Server
> 200[3||8] and a fancy GUI. Though, I've heard that WS2k8 does have a
> decent cli now.
>
> Dotan Cohen

    Whenever the subject is servers this list gets 200 messages. I am a
home user and could not care less about a server. As for GUI devices
they are nice. I use the Open Office to make ppp files that play on a
Windows machine and everyone asks where did you get those nice symbols?
I say Linux and they shut up.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI