X11 login screen receives no input from mouse or keyboard

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 20 19:16:35 UTC 2008

2008/5/20 Alex Janssen <alex at ourwoods.org>:
> I recently upgraded from 6.0.6 LTS to 8.0.4 LTS via the alternate
> install CD.
>
> After the upgrade was finished the X login screen receives no input from
> the mouse or keyboard, although I can switch to a console screen via
> ctrl-alt-F1.
>
> I tested /dev/input/mice via "sudo hd /dev/input/mice".  I get input
> from the mouse and obviously the keyboard works.
>
> I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and it still does the same thing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Alex

I once had a similar situation in Fedora using the wrong (believe it
or not) video driver. Post your xorg.conf file. If you saved the
xorg.conf file from 6.06, post it as well. If you used the same file,
are you sure that the correct driver is even installed on the system?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.