[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue May 20 19:03:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 15:33 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Show me one that can't be predicted in advance.  You're denying that it's
> deterministic.

No, I'm saying that a deterministic system still has variable inputs.
Plus, it is probably hard to argue that a sufficiently complex program
is deterministic in the strict sense, because it has known and unknown
bugs. I am talking about reality here, not your "ideal world".

I dunno, a simple example that comes to mind is network configuration.
If you sudo, you can change it to something that kills your connection,
and the system cannot stop you. If it tried to protect you from yourself
and guess at what is allowed and what isn't it inevitably would prevent
someone from making a valid, if unusual, choice.