[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 20 18:32:04 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 11:02 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
> A real GUI
> tool that protects the naive user from stupidity is guaranteed to impede
> the knowledgeable user by "knowing better".

How so?  You keep making this statement, but since the config file has a
fixed grammar, how is it possible for a knowledgeable user to "know
better"?

Off the top of my head, configuration files consist of the following sorts
of options:

- multiple choice
- integer
- text (sometimes with content rules)
- if A then B

If you use a text editor, you can violate any of those rules, but why would
an expert do so, deliberately?   If you use a tool, it can ensure that only
valid inputs are provided, and it can ensure that all dependent conditions
are met.  If the tool explicitly doesn't let set valid combinations, it's
in error.
--
derek