Environment variables?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:54:49 UTC 2008

2008/5/20 Leif Gregory <ldgregory69 at gmail.com>:
> In configuring various menu items and default programs to open when
> certain things are double-clicked I've run across a number of different
> variable arguments (maybe not the right term), stuff like %m, %u, %l
> etc.
>
> Are these unique to each program, are they arbitrary, specific to
> Nautilus or what? If they aren't arbitrary or specific to the
> application, is there a list somewhere showing what they are and what
> they're used for?
>
> Some real examples:
> firefox %u
> kopete -caption "%c" %i %m %u
> vinagre %U
>
> Thanks.

While they are unique to each program, most programs try to use
similar environmental variables. Just consult the manpage for each
program to see what they do.

Surprisingly, I do not have a manpage for Firefox3 installed. In that
case, you can google the manpages. I think that the linux
documentation project is a good place to look, too.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.