[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue May 20 18:52:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 14:23 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> No doubt, not disagreeing, I was pointing out that you can follow
> everything to the letter and still have something go glitch-wrong. Even
> 1:1 systems can suffer a data corruption or some other gremlin that
> *shouldn't* happen but can.
>
> Thus I find it more important to have contingencies in place.

Sure, I agree about that, who wouldn't. But I fail to see how this can
be an argument _in _favor of GUI tools for complex configuration tasks.
It just adds complexity into the process, and additional bugs. A
sufficiently complex config file requires a very complex GUI with its
own bugs, which is now trying to hand-hold an experienced admin.

Let's put it this way, I trust a good unix database admin more than an
MSCP with a GUI tool.

> My bank has large windows of maintenance scheduled periodically...

I hope mine has too, but they have it behind the scenes.

> I see
> notices that my online banking may not be available from 1AM to 5AM on a
> Sunday morning once in awhile.

:O Really?

Anyway, online banking for private customers is one thing. I was rather
talking about the bank's connection to the huge global financial
systems, like stock exchanges. They CANNOT go down.