[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue May 20 18:40:50 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 13:43 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> Sorry, did I miss the part where you weren't saying you're avoiding a
>> method or tool simply because you don't like to do something that may
>> associate with you with those lowly primitive mouth-breathing yet often
>> well-paid click-monkeys and you have an actual valid reason showing that
>> the CLI is inherently better to use in all cases?
>
> Please don't start an unnecessary flamewar by sloppy reading and
> inconsiderate replies :)

The statement I made reflected on the quote:
**
I'm sorry but admins who are reduced to point & click monkeys by
Window's GUI config tools can provide all the arguments that are
necessary.
**

I think that while my statement wasn't tactful, it wasn't unprovoked either.

But I will say it's admirable and rare for someone to actually take time
to clarify their position after such an exchange.

> My point was that anyone who has ever had to edit a complicated MS
> server with its GUI tool knows why CLIs are better suited for that task,
> at least for knowledgeable server admins, which frankly anyone should be
> who admins a valuable server.
> Those who have had to manager 100 servers with GUI tools know even
> better.

I don't have 100 servers, but I have had a fair number of systems to
configure and quite frankly I find a mix to be most appropriate. The
command line is slick and fast (as long as I've already learned about
and know what I am doing). But it gets *unwieldy* when I have a two or
three line set of commands because of long paths or redirects, for
example. It is a lot easier for me to (again, just an example) have a
graphical interface where I can set options and let it rip with a task.

I have had tasks that are easier with a few typed commands. I've had
some where it's just easier for me to work with a tree of objects. Ever
try navigating the Windows registry by command line? Painful, with some
hive and key names. Graphically, it's a cinch, plus easier to compare
two or more keys.

I still stand by the statement that so far the argument is GUI tools
just suck, just use it and you'll know why; this doesn't say what the
problem is. This is reflecting a personal matter of style and/or taste,
not a definitive reason. There are volumes on human/computer interaction
out there that embody research on computer interfaces, so while some
express a preference by the simple "it just sucks", it is possible to
define the reasoning. The statements made reflect just the current
generation of tools and your preferences without actually giving a
non-subjective reason.

Unless, of course, I missed this.  Which is totally possible.

As I said, I have preferences to use both, and there are plenty of cases
where the current tools suck and shine, depending on the situation,
mood, and phase of the moon.