[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue May 20 18:23:02 UTC 2008

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 13:37 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>> A) just because a system is tested in a test rig or test net first
>> doesn't mean the rollout portion will go 100% slick as eelsnot.
>
> In general I agree, but we are talking about important bank systems. An
> important bank system that is down for a few minutes can cost the bank
> millions of Dollars, or finish off the bank completely, if it was the
> wrong one that went down. Such systems usually have test rigs that are
> 1:1 copies of the live system, often on mainframes that can switch
> between the two systems seamlessly.

No doubt, not disagreeing, I was pointing out that you can follow
everything to the letter and still have something go glitch-wrong. Even
1:1 systems can suffer a data corruption or some other gremlin that
*shouldn't* happen but can.

Thus I find it more important to have contingencies in place.

My bank has large windows of maintenance scheduled periodically...I see
notices that my online banking may not be available from 1AM to 5AM on a
Sunday morning once in awhile.

The description you give regarding the 1:1 switching of mainframes with
one being a test platform is something I'd probably call a part of
having a contingency plan...but I don't think we're fundamentally
disagreeing on this point.