Debian or Ubuntu?

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at softax.com.pl
Tue May 20 18:00:59 UTC 2008

> Exactly - I still had to manually fix my config files...  Perhaps the update
> manager managed to fix some of them, but I don't see how it could
> _possibly_ handle all my config changes.

Well, working 3-way merge would be nice to have. There are some
experiments nowadays, but they are mostly doomed to fail as there
is no good info about change history.

I am one of those paranoid guys, who use Mercurial to version-control
everything what happens in /etc. And I feel it could be fairly
reasonable idea for some distro to version controll configs (with
mercurial, git or - hmm, we are talking about ubuntu - bazaar, or sth
similar) by default, using distribution branch and merging from it...

| Marcin Kasperski   | People resist change, regardless of what
| http://mekk.waw.pl |           it is. (Michael Reed)