[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Tue May 20 01:22:04 UTC 2008

Pastor JW wrote:
> I have to agree.  Ironically, I always get people who complain about how many
> clicks it takes to do things with a GUI, Question here, ...have they NEVER
> counted the hundreds of key clicks it takes someone to do the same job via
> CLI and then the extra ones it always takes because of a mis-spelled or
> mis-applied command line or a forgotten argument.

    Let me know when I can buffer mouse clicks.  The power in the CLI is
that you don't need to see the screen to enter information when you know
what's coming up.  How much does it take to configure something in, say, exim?

/etc/init.d/exim<tab> restart

    I can type that before most machines, especially over a remote connection,
will pull up the first level.  Heck, there's more often more typing just to
get the GUI up to a point where I can start configuring things; esp. if you
add in the address, username, password and so on.

    I'm not saying that CLIs are the end-all-be-all, nor that GUIs don't have
their place.  I believe that for certain things GUI configuration is desired.
 Just as I believe that for a great many things CLI configuration is desired.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...