best graphics card for "out of the box"

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 20 00:28:48 UTC 2008

On 05/19/2008 03:47 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> jack wallen wrote:
>> hello all.
>>
>> i'm looking to replace my on board nvidia graphics for my 8.04 install.
>> what graphics card works best out of the box? i've done some googling
>> but have not much luck.
>>
>> i'm stuck with PCIe cards. any suggestions?
>>

> The best Nvidia card you can get on your budget.  Open source 'nv'
> driver that works reasonably well and supports xv  video, and very good
> closed source 'nvidia' driver (installs automagically with restricted
> device manager) for accelerated video, 3d and gaming.

I'm curious about this (Nvidia); I don't have any NVidia cards/graphics
and all of my systems graphics are ATI or Intel. Not because I've
anything against Nvidia, but instead because pretty much take what I get
with my recycled/rebuilt systems.

I've often seen many posts against ATI on the list (and elsewhere) but
seldom have had any problems at all with the ATI cards and onboard
Intel's that I do have, yet there seem to be hundreds of posts regarding
Nvidia - particularly following upgrades.

Are Nvidia cards/graphics really "best out of the box" with
Ubuntu/linux, or are they really best in class for graphics overall?
Anyone know of a reasonably reliable link that compares "best out of the
box" linux graphics cards?