[OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon May 19 21:45:38 UTC 2008

2008/5/19 Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Configuration
> should always be possible through a question/answer system, rather than
> hand-editing, because even the most experienced users make mistakes when
> hand-editing, while a GUI tool should always prevent syntactic errors.

I very much disagree with you on this one. Configuration should be
unambiguous and easy to edit. What kind of GUI config would you use
when you ssh into your server? Even on my desktop, I try to use the
cli for configuration as much as possible. Other than kcontrol, I
haven't used a gui configuration tool since at least Ubuntu 7.04.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.