After system didaster how to prepare / save most important data ?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon May 19 12:24:53 UTC 2008

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hello Ubuntian's
> Looking & searching for a "Mounting local file" failure ...
> ... I ran into a disaster yesterday. ;-(
>
> GParted (with Ubuntu 7.10 plus from RescueCD and V 0.3.6) shows nothing
> anymore. ;-((
>
> Fortunately I got MBR restored ...
> ... and can access both OS's (WinXPP and Ubuntu 7.10) again. ;-))
>
> Now I prepare for extracting the most important data and appreciate
> your hints und suggestions to get this done best and safest to
> do a new system setup from scratch !!!
>
> My plans and intentions:
> 1st: Save /home completely to a USB stick or external USB HDD !

    You can do this but a USB stick will not last as long as a Hard
Drive as a rule. I suggest you just use another partition on your Hard
Drive for /home. Load it with /etc/fstab and you forget it is separate.

> 2nd: additionally Backup Evolution to a separate USB stick !! Well why?
>

> 3rd - Thunderbird offers an import feature: How do I get Thunderbird's
> data exported ???

    Just copy the the current /HOME/.thunderbird directory to the new
/HOME/.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User