[OT] Mono politics [was: Re: Compile Mono]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon May 19 04:55:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 21:48 -0400, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> Likewise, if/when Microsoft pulls out the patent or copyright nuke
> against anything with Mono dependencies, and your favorite piece of
> software goes bye-bye in the process, don't complain.

As I noted elsewhere in this thread, MS already claims (unsubstantiated)
patent violations in the kernel. Furthermore, given the state of the US
"IP" laws, there is probably scarcely any software that does not violate
patents. Thus, as Linus has written, it is best to ignore them.

What exactly is supposed to be different with mono?