[OT] Mono politics [was: Re: Compile Mono]

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 19 01:48:26 UTC 2008

Steve Lamb wrote:
> Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>
>> You're free to forego your freedom if you want.
>>

>     Forgo what freedom?  See, people like you seem to forget that freedom
> means being able to something which seems contrary to one's interests.  The
> full statement is freedom of choice.  It isn't the outcome that matters, it is
> the choice.  Having only "positive" outcomes as prescribed by others is no
> /choice/ and thus no freedom.

I noticed that you deleted the rest of the line, after the word "want."
I actually agreed with you...but maybe you just don't like the full
implications?  :-)

As I said, you are free to let yourself get run over by a car or jump
off of a very high bridge if you wish.  I never denied that; it is
indeed your right to do so.  But when you die from doing that, don't
complain.  :-)

Likewise, if/when Microsoft pulls out the patent or copyright nuke
against anything with Mono dependencies, and your favorite piece of
software goes bye-bye in the process, don't complain.  If you've
committed your company to something with Mono dependencies, your company
gets threatened or sued, and you end up in the unemployment line, don't
complain.

The problem isn't making the choices.  The problem is that folks like
you tend to whine when you have to face the inevitable fallout of that
choice.  Then you cry, "Waah! Waah!  Bail me out, someone, it's not my
fault!"  Umm...yes, it is.  You had the freedom to make the choice...and
you made it.  Now sleep in the bed you made for yourself.

--TP