Why so big?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun May 18 22:18:11 UTC 2008

Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun May 18 2008 13:46:01 Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>     To run fsck I had to come up in a rescue cd which is the 7.10
>> LiveCD. There I got a terminal and did sudo fsck /dev/hda8 which eneded
>> quick saying all was well. Then I did the sudo fsck -f /dev/hda8 and
>> that took much longer but wound up at the same spot. So now back on
>> /dev/hda8 and df has the same results I have sent several times. The
>> effect of running fsck both ways was nothing I can measure.
>>

> It should have recovered the orphaned inodes (you can check with dumpe2fs)
> but it sounds like they were not the major part of your problem.
>
> The only other place I know of to look is under your mounts.  I'll show
> you on my /boot.  You'll want to do something like this for each of your
> mounts that is (a) a real file system and (b) not the root file system.
> In some cases you may have to cd to root or even shut down your desktop
> or even boot into recovery mode in order that nothing is using a mount
> so it can be unmounted.
>
>   # cd /
>   # umount /boot
>   # du /boot
>   184	/boot/grub
>   188	/boot
>   # mount /boot
>
> In this case I had 188KB hidden under my /boot mount.  Not enough to
> worry about.  I suspect you'll find a few gigs under one of your mounts.
> If so, you can delete the stuff from the mount point (but not the mount
> point itself) or move it from under the mount point so you can think
> about it later and decide what to do with it.
>
> --Mike Bird

    Mike your not thinking right. /boot is a DIRECTORY off of /. When I
tried to umount it did the expected:

karl at karl-desktop:/$ sudo umount /boot
[sudo] password for karl:
umount: /boot: not mounted
karl at karl-desktop:/$ sudo umount boot
umount: boot: not mounted
karl at karl-desktop:/$

    It is not smart enough to say it's a directory but that is the
problem. So I think your search for 4 Gb of free space is just not going
to work.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI