Update tool scan for new packages

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Sun May 18 16:36:13 UTC 2008

stan wrote the following on 18.05.2008 18:15

> after I upgraded to 8.04, I noticed that when I invoke the update tool from
> the icon, it insists on scanning for new updates every time. Since the icon
> only appears when the update tool already knows that there are new updates,
> why was this behavior changes?

<--------  /etc/cron.daily/apt  --------
# sleep for a random intervall of time (default 30min)
# (some code taken from cron-apt, thanks)
random_sleep()
{
    RandomSleep=1800

It's intention is to reduce load on ubuntu mirrors, when all default
installations run their crons at 6 am.

> And can I revert back to the old behavior?

jusr edit above, or wait up to at least 31min after booting your PC.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09