8.04 mounting second drive help

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Sun May 18 13:01:01 UTC 2008

Rashkae wrote:
> jack wallen wrote:
>
> The output should hopefully be something like
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1               1         243     1951866   82  Linux
>
> If the partition does indeed exist and fdisk can see it, then it's only
> the hotplug scripts are are failing to create the device.
>
> There should be a MAKDEDEV command in your /dev directory, so try:
>
> sudo /dev/MAKEDEV sdb

i re-ran this again and wound up with some output that doesn't look
good. here it is:

mknod: `sdb-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb b 8 16 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb1-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb1 b 8 17 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb2-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb2 b 8 18 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb3-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb3 b 8 19 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb4-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb4 b 8 20 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb5-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb5 b 8 21 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb6-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb6 b 8 22 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb7-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb7 b 8 23 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb8-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb8 b 8 24 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb9-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb9 b 8 25 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb10-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb10 b 8 26 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb11-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb11 b 8 27 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb12-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb12 b 8 28 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb13-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb13 b 8 29 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb14-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb14 b 8 30 root disk 0660: failed
mknod: `sdb15-': Read-only file system
makedev sdb15 b 8 31 root disk 0660: failed

what is this saying? is this salvageable?

--
jack wallen
www.monkeypantz.net