8.04 mounting second drive help

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sun May 18 03:06:12 UTC 2008

jack wallen wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I just did an update from 7.10 to 8.04. All went well with one very
> important exception. I have a data drive that houses all of my important
> data. In 7.10 it was /dev/hdb mounted on /data with the command mount
> /dev/hdb1 /data. Now, obviously it is seen as /dev/sdb. But if I try to
> mount the drive with the command sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /data I am getting
> this error:

a), first, verify that the drive you are looking at still has partitions.

try sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb

The output should hopefully be something like

/dev/sdb1               1         243     1951866   82  Linux

If the partition does indeed exist and fdisk can see it, then it's only
the hotplug scripts are are failing to create the device.

There should be a MAKDEDEV command in your /dev directory, so try:

sudo /dev/MAKEDEV sdb

On my system, I get a message that udev is detected, so the devices are
created in /dev/.static

Then you can try to mount the partition with mount -t auto
/dev/.static/sdb1 /data

If, on the other hand, fdisk does not list any partitions, then your
partition table got wiped out somehow.  You then might need to try
something like the Rescue is Possible boot cd to try and re-create the
partition table.  I really have no clue how an update might have mussed
the partition table of a hard drive however.