Dual Booting

Daniel Dalton daniel.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sat May 17 09:00:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Michael Darling wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just installed Ubuntu 8.4 on a machine with two hard drives. The first (drive C:) is Windows XP. I installed Ubuntu onto a 250GB drive (F: in windows) and all seemed to go well. I was expecting GRUB to be installed automatically to allow me to choose the OS to boot into, however the machine starts as it always did, ie. going straight into XP with no mention of Ubuntu.
> Have I got to install GRUB manually, and if so how, or have I done something else wrong?

It should really detect your setup and write to the mbr and let you dual
boot.
By any chance is the ubuntu hard drive the second one in the computer?
Perhaps grub must be on hda or sda not hdb or sdb for it to work?
If you boot the livecd and run:
ls /dev/sd*
and
ls /dev/hd*
What do you see?
Note: if you get several partitions as out put, don't bother pasting all
of them...
We are just trying to find out how your drives are ordered, but I don't
even know if that will help you.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/